Crowns under Insurance
- Insurance in general covers only those which come under the category of emergency and not for cosmetic purposes according to best cosmetic dentistry tallahassee. The same rule is applicable for the crowns. If the crowns are a medical necessity, insurance will cover them. If not, then you will not get any money from the insurance company. Also, you will only get 50% of the cost at Crown Somerville and the policy should be at least one year old. Therefore, it is suggested to have a discussion with the insurance company and dentist before opting for any procedure.
Before deciding and concluding about crowns, first, we need to know- what is a dental crown?
A crown is basically a cap that fits over your existing tools to improve cracks, chips, a badly broken or misshapen tooth, weakened tooth or to hold a dental bridge in place. It is the best way to restore the strength, appearance, shape, and size of your tooth.
It can be made from different materials like porcelain, ceramic, resin, or porcelain fused to metal or gold. Dentists can even customize your caps according to the requirements and you need not wait for them for weeks.
The most commonly used material which has been widely used is porcelain and ceramics as they are durable and look like natural teeth. They can last up to 15 years if properly taken care of. They can be used in front and back and are best for those who have metal allergies.
Dental crown procedure
It is a very simple procedure but always depends on the situation in which the patient is. Local anesthesia will be given to the patient and will file down the outer layer of the tooth so the crown can fit comfortably over top making it permanent. It will be fit in the mouth forever but will need a few precautions for a few days like-
- Avoid chewing directly on that tooth
- avoiding hard, sticky, and chewy food
- brush gently on the particular area
You need to contact teeth bridgework Somerville if they become loose or fall out so that they can be restored in time to avoid loss.
Coverage of insurance
As the procedure is strictly related to health and wellness, it has a three-tier structure known as 100-80-50.
- Preventive care like cleanings, X-rays, and sealants is covered at 10%.
- Important procedures like crowns, bridges, inlays, and dentures at 50%. A root canal is also included but is optional for some plans as insurance is based on preventive and basic care.
There is always a waiting period for non-emergencies like crowns which may vary anywhere between a few and 12 months and can be long for two years but if other treatments earlier that year have covered some amount, crowns will be covered only at 50%.
Cost of insurance along with crowns
We already know that insurance only covers medical emergencies so if you are taking the crown for cosmetic purposes like for improving your smile or your appearance, you have to pay the whole price but if it has to be done due to a medical emergency insurance company will give you 50% of the plan. It is important to discuss the overall cost of the crowns based on the material you are opting for so that you can plan your insurance accordingly. There are also many dental schools and employer-sponsored plans which offer lower prices and work with lower premiums due to the group coverage.
Cheap dental care options
As we just read that all the expenses may or may not be covered by the company, it can cost you a fortune. For your luck, there are also some cheap options available which you can consider. The thing that you need to remember is just because they are cheap doesn’t mean that the quality is lacking. There are various dental schools where highly trained dentists overlook the students who need to practice and they provide a wide- range of services like
- general cleaning and examining
- root canal
- orthodontic care
- periodontics care and
- emergency services
You can easily find the list of the services and their charges on the websites. You can also ask Dentist Somerville they might consider your case and can give you a discount. So, I need not fear asking that from him.